Thursday, September 25, 2008

This is a war zone?

I’m not entirely sure what I was expecting of Iraq but whatever that expectation may be the reality is completely different. Other than occasional helicopter noises the loudest sound around here is all of the generators that power the Victory Base Complex. No mortars going off (yet), the heat is bearable (the highest I’ve seen in 110) the chow in the DFAC is not too bad (though I’m sure I’ll tire of it quickly) and there are so many services that I might as well be in Chelmsford. Actually, there is probably more shit to do here than there is in C-ford.

I haven’t had much time to get out and about other than walking between my hooch and the office. Along the way I pass a Pizza Hut, a Subway, Green Beans Coffee (better than Starbucks, no where near Dunks) the gym, about three chapels, a few lakes, KBR’s laundry facilities, many hard stand bunkers for indirect fire protection etc. The head cheese at the office noted that Camp Victory is as close as one is going to get to having a “deployment in garrison.” Luckily it looks like I’ll be able (from time to time) to hop on a circulation around the AO to see what Iraq is really like. Multi-National Division – Center’s AO is basically from south Baghdad to Basra. Maybe I’ll get to seek Mookie.

No comments: