Monday, September 15, 2008

Life in 2.5 bags

I was asked last Tuesday to go to Iraq until Jul 09 to support the 10th Mountain Division's public affairs efforts and told that if I said yes I'd be leaving on Friday. I discovered, rather quickly, that attempting to turn your life off in about 70 hours.

I'm thankful that I have (had) two good roommates that were willing to work with me to sell / donate most of my stuff and let me leave a bunch of clutter in the house. My buddy Tyler is doing a hero's job by offering to watch my dog while I'm away...which was completely unexpected. I'd basically resigned myself to giving him up to Westie Rescue...a rather tough decision given the fact that he'd been my companion for four years.

As my former boss said: when you have a quick-turn deployment you discover very quickly what matters in your life and to what degree you're willing to part with lots of accumulated junk. After cramming all the junk that I thought that I'd like to keep in a Public Storage locker (and having a friend agree to ship some stuff to Iraq) my life filled up two and a half bags...actually one and a half as the green bag on the right is filled with many pounds of body armor.

No comments: